Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Don't Act Like You Don't Watch It.

I have a confession to make. It's dirty. It's filthy. It's mind numbing and killing brain cells as we speak.

Yes, I am addicted to the 16 and Pregnant/ Teen Mom series on MTV. What is it, you ask? You mean you haven't seen it? YOU ARE MISSING OUT. This series is the absolute end-all, be-all of train wrecks (other than Jersey Shore, I think). MTV found these 16-year-old girls... sometimes 15 and had camera crews follow them around during their pregnancy. And while there is a second season that finished in May (and a THIRD in the works... oh I can't wait), my heart belongs to the girls of Season One.

That's why I was so glad to find out that Teen Mom was only going to be the girls from Season One. Amber, Maci, Farrah and Caitlyn. The Season Two girls were ok, but I loves me some Season One drama.

Let's start with Maci. Can we all just agree that she's a great mom? I mean, that ding-dong, half-wit Ryan has got to be one of the most obnoxious, entitled, self-centered, butt-faced miscreant (name that show!) that has ever lived. Calling Maci lazy for dropping out of school when his unemployed butt couldn't watch Bentley while she went to class? You've got to be kidding me. I'm so excited that she reconnected with this new guy but I can't wait for Ryan to find out. I would have been mad too if my ex-boyfriend brought his new girlfriend by and didn't even introduce me to her so I knew my kid was ok when he was with his dad. SHAME Ryan. SHAME.

Then there's Farrah. Ok. So, first Season of Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant, Farrah really got on my nerves. In a good "I can't look away" kind of way. She was always off with the guys, leaving Sophia at home with her mom. Her mom is LOONEY TUNES, by the way. So when this season opened up with the 911 call Farrah made after her mom hit her, I was like, "OMG, this got so much better!". Because I was waiting for Deborah to snap. Really snap. And this last episode where it was Sophia's birthday and her parents are ignoring her at the restaurant? So sad. I really did feel for Farrah because she's stuck in this family and she can't do anything about that because she is only 18. I forget sometimes that these girls are so young.

I really feel for Caitlyn too. After all the mess with Carly and her parents and then moving in with Tyler, the poor girl doesn't know which way is up. But I really think she and Tyler are showing their age this season. They were so mature and brave to give their daughter up for adoption but I think it's really starting to hit Tyler this season. Caitlyn has had time to process it and she had more opportunities for healing than Tyler. Plus, she is always around him. It's good that she was forced to move out of his house but I really wish she didn't have to live with her drug-addict mom and Butch. OMG, don't get me started on Butch.

I definitely saved the best for last. Amber. Amber and Gary and poor baby Leah. In the first season, whenever Amber had an outburst I thought, "Ok, she's only 17, she has a baby and that doofy Gary is in the picture. Poor her." But the way she's acting this season? Girl has a chemical imbalance. Seriously. This last episode where Gary was trying to calmly talk to her and she kept screaming at him, make up trailing down her face? She needs to get some help, and she needs to get it now. I can't imagine what it's like for a baby to be in that environment 24/7. Because neither of them have a job, so they just sit around and fight all day. OH and if neither of them have a job, how in the hell can they afford to go out to dinner all the time? I work full time and we go out to dinner maybe once a month. And it's usually to Red Robin. When we have a coupon. Or gift certificate. So someone please explain to me how they can cry and yell at each other about money then turn around and say, "Let's go get dinner." NO.

So yeah... I know I'm way too invested and the Hubs calls it "trash" and it totally is. But I don't care. Because this show is a train wreck in the craziest possible way.

Do you have any guilty pleasure shows? Do you get teased for watching them? Are you secretly pleased when you find other people who are so invested in these shows too? Tell me I'm not alone!

9 comments:

  1. I have no idea how you watch that. but I *do* love Say Yes to the Dress. makes me feel so much better about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, lets sit down and read about this:

    This show is pure garbage to my brain and I am sure that everytime I watch it my IQ drops 10 points (name that movie!) but I love the drama!

    Farrah, I CANNOT stand her one little bit. But I can't stop watching her. She is, I think, the best drama queen in the world. She is SO rude to her mother. And the mom? Yep, completely looney.

    Caitly and Tyler are so cute. I want them to get married and get out of that town and make things happen. And then start a family when its the right time. You know they are going to be amazing parents.

    Amber... omg. There are not enough words for this kind of drama. I can't believe that she is still with Gary, after all the lying, cheating and emotional wreck that it has caused her. And she got SO thin. I worry about her health. And I wondered about the dinner thing too! How do they do it? They have an apt, cars, everything. I work full time, extra time, side time and I can barely keep up. I need to learn their trades of the orient or something. Or get my own reality tv show.

    Will I be watching this show this season? OF COURSE! Because I love killing brain cells, my life is empty and because class just ended so I have a month off from school. Oh the beautiful life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi loves 16 and preggers. I don't know how she can watch it. I have ended up seeing a bunch of episodes but the only thing I walk away with is an overwhelming sense of depression. I need to watch something happy after wards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten hooked on Keeping Up with the Kardashians and Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami. I get so upset at the antics that go on and yet I can't tear my eyes away and tune in every Sunday night. It's a sickness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I'm so happy you share one of my guilty pleasures. Unfortunately, I don't have cable, but every time Teen Mom is on, I have to watch. There's no walking away. Thanks for owning to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ayesha, you can watch episodes on mtv.com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On one hand, I feel like I wanna own up to the fact that I like watching jersey shore and you're cut off, but it makes my soul hurt to think that there are babies involved in this mess. At least when I watch those other shows I can hope they spontaneously combust and no one will care even a little bit. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying my soul needs a vicodin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit it... I love being a voyeur too. Can't help it.

    You might enjoy a story I am currently posting online at www.afacebookstory-oneclickaway.blogspot.com. It's a peek inside the life of a perfect mom who veers off of the path we all expect her to follow. It's fun, a little dangerous and extremely satisfying in the way that most at-home wife and mommy lives aren't. I hope you will take a look...

    Now, where's the remote?
    Elizabeth
    www.afacebookstory-oneclickaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG. Of course you love this show. Why? Because I LOVE this show!!!
    (and, surprise, Ben does too! He says that if we ever have a kid, he's going to buy Teen Mom on DVD and force it to watch, as the most excellent form of birth control ever!)
    I agree with you on all points.
    And whenever I feel like Ben's being a buttface, I now tell him he's "being a Gary".
    (to which he responds by telling me not to be "an Amber".)
    hehe

    ReplyDelete